These Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Waffles are the perfect brunch, breakfast, and dinner food! Their soft, fluffy, but crispy on the outside! They are full of appley and cinnamony goodness! They’re also made with healthy ingredients to keep you feeling full!
Oh my goodness, waffles are the best! I love pretty much any variety out there, whether it’s pumpkin, whole wheat, apple, or chocolate chip! My Whole Wheat Belgium Waffles are my classic go-to, but these Apple Cinnamon Waffles are perfect when you’re craving waffles that are a little more exciting! Either way, waffles are the best brunch or breakfast food to enjoy with your significant other or family!
Apple Cinnamon Waffle Ingredients
The ingredients you will need for these amazing waffles are listed below!
- Whole wheat flour
- Unbleached all-purpose flour
- Cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Fine sea salt
- Turbinado sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
- Unsweetened almond milk
For anyone that is allergic to nuts and needs a nut-free version, you can replace the almond milk with oat milk or coconut milk. You can also make these waffles with raw honey or xylitol in place of the turbinado sugar for a refined sugar-free version! I personally love using coconut oil because I like the taste and health benefits, but you could definitely substitute with canola oil or even melted butter.
As for the apple that I used in this recipe, I used a Gala apple, but you could use any type you prefer! If you want to read this article from Thekitchn, it lists all of the best baking apples and their levels of sweetness.
If you don’t have a waffle maker, you can find the one I have on Amazon here! I think it’s completely worth buying a waffle maker, even if you only use it a few times a year. You save money by not going out to breakfast or brunch, and homemade always tastes better!
Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Waffles
- 2 Large mixing bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Apple Peeler and grater
- Waffle maker
- 1 Cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 Cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp Fine sea salt
- 3 Tbsp Turbinado sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Medium Apple peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 Cups Unsweetened almond milk
- Turn a waffle maker on to a high heat setting.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, cornstarch, turbinado sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and baking powder. Whisk the ingredients until distributed.
- Peel and grate the apple then pour it into another mixing bowl. Add the egg, almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla to the bowl. Use a spatula to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk the mixture until it becomes smooth. Use a spatula to get the bottom of the bowl and the sides. The batter will be thicker than plain waffles because of the whole wheat flour.
- Spray a waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Use a 1/2 cup to pour the waffle batter in the preheated waffle maker, and cook as directed by waffle maker instructions, or until they are golden brown
- Serve with natural maple syrup, honey, or whatever toppings you desire.