These Healthy Honey Cornbread Muffins are a great alternative to regular cornbread! They are simple to make, full of healthy ingredients, and low in calories. They are sweetened with honey, and Greek yogurt replaces oil! These muffins are slightly sweet, moist, and perfect served with soups, stews, and chili!
Cornbread is a very classic cold-weather dish. Living in Michigan, we had months of cold weather, so I remember my mom and sisters using the Jiffy corn muffins mix, whenever we were having a pot of chili for dinner. I still love the flavor of jiffy, so I try to make this healthier version similar to that. They are the perfect portion size, and they make much less mess. I always make these muffins when I make my favorite batch of Healthy Crock-Pot Turkey Chili. It’s the perfect meal combo!
Healthy Honey Cornbread Muffins Ingredients
The ingredients for these muffins are so simple and are mostly pantry staples! Which makes them perfect to throw together for a quick side dish. Here is the full list of twhat you will need.
- Yellow cornmeal
- Whole wheat flour
- Unbleached all-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Fine sea salt
- Raw honey
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Greek yogurt
Here are a few easy substitutions in case certain ingredients aren’t to your liking, or you just don’t have them on hand! The almond milk you can replace with oat milk, coconut milk, or plain dairy milk. Honey can be switched out for natural maple syrup or agave. Also, the greek yogurt can be replaced with unsweetened applesauce for the same result.
The tools you will need for this recipe are simple and don’t require much cleanup! I always use my Wilton 12-Cup Muffin Tin because it’s easy to clean, and makes the best muffins.
Healthy Honey Cornbread Muffins
- Large and medium mixing bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Muffin Tin
- 1 Cup Yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 Cup Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Fine sea salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tbsp Raw honey plus extra for drizzling on top
- 1 1/4 Cup Unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cornmeal, flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the egg, honey, Greek yogurt, and almond milk. Whisk to mix ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure it’s completely combined.
- Using a measuring cup, pour the batter into a muffin tin equally, about 1/2 of the way full each.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or insert a toothpick into the center, and if it comes out clean they are done.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack or plate to finish cooling. Or serve immediately.
- Optionally drizzle the muffins with a little bit of honey!