This Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry is a comforting, flavorful, warm meal! It’s a quick healthy vegetarian dinner that only takes about 30 minutes! This curry has so many health benefits, from the squash, vegetables, turmeric, chickpeas, and coconut milk. It’s great for boosting the immune system and tastes delicious too!
I absolutely love curry dishes! I had a friend make me chicken curry a few years ago, and I was blown away by the flavors. Curry powder is so different than another spice combo out there. It has a little bit of heat, but it’s more aromatic and rich. I’ve been slightly obsessed with it recently, and I continue to try it in as many ways as I can. If you haven’t had curry before, I can’t wait for you to try this dish!
Curry and Turmeric Health Benefits
Turmeric is one of the main ingredients in Curry powder. That’s what gives curry its bright orange and yellow color. Turmeric is a unique spice, not only because of the taste and color but the health benefits! Curcumin is the main ingredient of turmeric, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and strong antioxidant. The list of benefits to this is long!
- Turmeric contains bioactive compounds with medicinal properties.
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- It dramatically increases antioxidants in your body.
- Boosts brain function and lowers the risk of brain cancer.
- Turmeric can also lower the risk of multiple cancers.
- Curcumin in turmeric can help with treating depression.
Those are some of the many reasons I like adding turmeric to my meals or baked goods. There are even more benefits, and you can find out here!
Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry Ingredients
- Butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Roma tomato
- Jalapeño pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Curry powder
- Ground ginger
- Canned chickpeas
- Tomato paste
- Canned coconut milk
- Vegetable broth
- Cayenne pepper
- Fine sea salt
- Fresh cilantro leaves
Butternut squash can be difficult to peel, but I usually use a Chef’s knife because otherwise, it takes forever. Besides that, this recipe is so easy to make because you cook everything in one-pot! Even if you make a side of rice, it’s only one extra dish. I think one-pot recipes are awesome, and that’s why I make my Vegan Chili Mac and other meals in one-pot too. It makes for easier cleanup and takes less time.
Meal-Prep and Nutrition
This recipe is a good one to use for meal-prep! Make a batch of this curry with a few servings of white or brown rice, and combine them in lunch containers. That will give you a few meals for a couple of days. Also, the nutrition calculation is for the curry alone, but if you combine it with 1/2 cup serving of cooked rice, it will be about 360K-Calories. I ate this for about 3 days straight after I made it because it’s so filling and nutritious!
I hope you enjoy this delicious and nutritious Butternut Squash Curry and will come back for more recipes soon!
Butternut Squash Chickpea Curry
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Large pot with lid
- Wooden cooking spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 Large Butternut squash about 6 cups peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 1 Small Roma tomato diced
- 1 Small Jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tbsps Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper optional
- 1/4 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/2 Cup Canned chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 5 oz Canned coconut milk
- 1 Cup Vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high. Add onion, garlic, pepper, tomato and the butternut squash.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, paprika, salt, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and ginger. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chickpeas, coconut milk, vegetable broth, and tomato paste.
- Bring to boil, cover with a lid, and reduce to a simmer on low heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes until squash cubes are completely tender.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Served with white or brown rice if desired.